1 conforming with or constituting a norm or standard or level or type or social norm; not abnormal; "serve wine at normal room temperature"; "normal diplomatic relations"; "normal working hours"; "normal word order"; "normal curiosity"; "the normal course of events" [ant: abnormal]
2 in accordance with scientific laws [ant: paranormal]
3 being approximately average or within certain limits in e.g. intelligence and development; "a perfectly normal child"; "of normal intelligence"; "the most normal person I've ever met" [ant: abnormal]
4 forming a right angle n : something regarded as a normative example; "the convention of not naming the main character"; "violence is the rule not the exception"; "his formula for impressing visitors" [syn: convention, pattern, rule, formula]
EtymologyFrom Latin normalis.
- Rhymes: -ɔː(r)məl
- According to norms or
- Organize the data into third normal form.
- Usual; ordinary
- Felicia baked the bread the normal way.
- Healthy; not sick or ill
- John is feeling normal again.
- Pertaining to a school to teach teachers how to teach.
- My grandmother attended Mankato State Normal School.
- (informal, pejorative towards homosexuals) Heterosexual.
- We don't like your sort around here - this bar is for normal people.
- of, relating to, or being a solution containing one equivalent weight of solute per litre of solution.
- (Of a mode in an oscillating system) In which all parts of an object vibrate at the same frequency; See normal mode
- Perpendicular to a tangent line or derivative of a surface in
- ''The interior normal vector of a ideal perfect sphere will always point toward the center, and the exterior normal vector directly away, and both will always be co-linear with the ray whose' tip ends at the point of intersection, which is the intersection of all three sets of points.''
- (Of a subgroup) whose cosets form a group
- (Of a field extension of a field K) which is the splitting field of a family of polynomials in K
- (Of a distribution) which has a very specific bell curve shape
- (Of a family of continuous functions) which is pre-compact
- (Of a function from the ordinals to the ordinals) which is strictly monotonically increasing and continuous with respect to the order topology
- (Of a matrix) which commutes with its conjugate transpose
- (Of a Hilbert space operator) which commutes with its adjoint
- (Of an epimorphism) which is the cokernel of some morphism
- (Of a monomorphism) which is the kernel of some morphism
- (Of a morphism) which is a normal epimorphism or a normal monomorphism
- (Of a category) in which every monomorphism is normal
- (Of a real number) whose digits, in any base representation, enjoy a uniform distribution
- (Of a topology) in which disjoint closed sets can be separated by disjoint neighborhoods
according to norms or rules
* Arabic: (ʕādiy),
- Chinese: 正常的 (zhèngcháng de)
- Dutch: normaal, normale, gewoon, gewone
- Finnish: säännöllinen
- French: normal
- German: normal
- Hungarian: rendes, normális
- Italian: normale
- Japanese: 普通の (ふつうの, futsūno)
- Korean: 정상의 (jeongsangui)
- Norwegian: normal, ordinær, vanlig, alminnelig
- Polish: normalny , normalna , normalne , zwykły , zwykła , zwykłe
- Portuguese: normal
- Russian: нормальный (normál’nyj)
- Spanish: normal
- Swedish: normal
pertaining to a school to teach teachers how to teach
- Dutch: normaal
- A line or vector that is perpendicular to another.
mathematics: a line perpendicular to another
- French: normal , normale
- Hungarian: normális
- normal gloss French
"Normal" can refer to several topics, including:
- Normal, Ohio, an American comedy television program
- Normal (film), a 2003 film
- Normal (2007 film), a film by Carl Bessai
- "Normal Boy / Birth of a Salesman", a television episode found in the list of The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius episodes
- Michelle Diane Creasy
- Normal, Illinois, a town in the United States
normal in Danish: Normal
normal in Spanish: Normal
normal in French: Normal
normal in Italian: Normale
normal in Dutch: Normaal
normal in Portuguese: Normal
normal in Finnish: Normaali
normal in Volapük: Normal
academe, academia, accepted, according to Hoyle, air line, all there, alma mater, appropriate, arranged, average, axis, azimuth circle, balance, balanced, banal, beeline, besetting, bourgeois, businesslike, center, central, characteristic, chord, clearheaded, clearminded, college, college of engineering, common, commonplace, community college, compos mentis, condign, conformable, conformist, consuetudinary, conventional, correct, current, customary, decent, decorous, degree-granting institution, diagonal, diameter, direct line, directrix, distinctive, distinguishing, dominant, due, edge, epidemic, established, everyday, exemplary, familiar, fit, fitting, formal, four-year college, garden, garden-variety, general, generality, generally accepted, golden mean, good, graduate school, great-circle course, habitual, happy medium, harmonious, healthy, healthy-minded, in hand, institute of technology, intermediary, intermediate, ivied halls, journalism school, junior college, juste-milieu, kosher, law school, lucid, mean, medial, median, medical school, mediocre, mediocrity, medium, mentally sound, methodical, middle, middle course, middle ground, middle point, middle position, middle state, middle-class, middle-of-the-road, middling, midpoint, moderate, multiversity, natural, naturalistic, naturistic, nice, no great shakes, norm, normal school, normative, obtaining, of sound mind, ordered, orderly, ordinary, orthodiagonal, orthodox, orthogonal, orthometric, pandemic, par, perpendicular, plastic, plumb, popular, postgraduate school, predominant, predominating, prescribed, prescriptive, prevailing, prevalent, proper, quintessential, radius, radius vector, rampant, rational, realistic, reasonable, received, rectangular, regnant, regular, regulation, reigning, rife, right, right and proper, right angle, right line, right-angle, right-angled, right-angular, righteous, rightful, routine, rule, ruling, run, run-of-mine, run-of-the-mill, running, sample, sane, sane-minded, school of communications, school of education, secant, seemly, segment, sensible, set, shortcut, side, sound, sound-minded, stable, standard, steady, stereotyped, stock, straight, straight course, straight line, straight stretch, straightaway, streamline, suburban, suitable, symmetrical, systematic, tangent, time-honored, together, traditional, transversal, true to form, true to type, two-year college, typal, typic, typical, unexceptional, uniform, universal, university, university college, unnoteworthy, unremarkable, unspectacular, upright, usual, varsity, vector, vertical, vertical circle, via media, well-ordered, well-regulated, wholesome, widespread, wonted